Saturday, August 6, 2011

Hint of Ranch Roast Beef

This is by far my proudest cooking accomplishment.  I have been dying to use my Crock Pot for so long, but never really had any ideas of what to make in it.  I always just thought about chili, which I'm not a great fan of, so I never got around to doing it.
This morning, I went to the Farmer's Market with my parents and grandparents.  I set out this morning determined to score some ingredients that I could use in my slow-cooker.  Since I'm still experimenting with cooking and figuring out how stuff goes together, I asked advice from the two best cooks I know: my dad and my grandmother.  With their guidance, I decided on making a pot roast.  My mom helped me pick out some fresh carrots and red potatoes.  It was a team effort for sure, and it was a great morning adventure with my family.

So I looked through my trusty Better Homes & Gardens cookbook (I have no idea how I lived without it for so many years) to find a recipe to guide me.  I found my inspiration in a recipe that was for Ranch Pork Roast.  I liked the idea of tangy ranch in a pot roast.  I made my own unique recipe (for the first time ever!) and did it completely from scratch.  I credit the cookbook for giving me inspiration, but this recipe is 100% made by me.

The roast was so juicy and the fresh carrots and potatoes really made a difference.  I have never had carrots with so much flavor.  My mother decided that they are more "carroty" than other carrots.  This is the perfect way to describe their taste.  If I could, I'd buy farm fresh produce all the time.  I hope to go to the market a few more times before the fall so that I can try out some more fun recipes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
HINT OF RANCH POT ROAST

1 beef roast (mine was 1 and 1/4 lbs. and fed Matt and I with a little left over)
1 lb red potatoes, cut into eighths
4 carrots, sliced
1/2 yellow vidalia onion, chopped
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix
Salt and Pepper to taste

 Coat skillet with non-stick spray or cooking oil and heat on medium high.  Take 1/2 packet of ranch mix and rub into roast.  Place meat in skillet and brown, making sure to get each side evenly.

In the bottom of the Crock Pot, add the potatoes, carrots, and onions.  Sprinkle second 1/2 of ranch mix packed onto veggies and stir lightly.  Place roast on top of veggies and pour 3/4 cup of water over top.

Place lid on top and cook.  Cooking times will vary based on whether you cook the roast on low or high, and also on the weight of the meat.  My 1 and 1/4 lb. roast cooked in about 3 hours on high heat.




No comments:

Post a Comment